Way to Go!
The FD team raised $3,767.01 to fight cancer
Deaths in the Bible. God – 2,270,365 not including the victims of Noah’s flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc because no specific numbers were given. Satan – 10 – Unknown
To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy – David Brooks (The Necessity of Atheism)
I refuse to believe in a god that would send me to hell just for not believing in him. – Bob Snuka
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. – Frater Ravus
Do you believe in magic? If you are a member of Freethought Dayton, the answer is most likely “no.” But a lot of people do believe in magical, mystical thinking. In his recent book, Do You Believe in Magic: The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine, Paul A. Offit, MD, examines the world of supplements, megavitamins, chelation therapy, and fear of vaccines.
Nutritional supplements are an unregulated, $34 billion per year industry. While a few studies indicated some alternative therapies are beneficial, evidence is piling up that other herbal supplements and megadoses of certain vitamins may actually be harmful, not helpful, to your health. Standardized medicine is certainly not immune to corrections, but when a drug is found to have deleterious effects, it can be pulled from the market due to federal regulations. This process is much more difficult or impossible in an unregulated industry.
Vitamins and supplements are often touted as “natural,” which in common usage is interpreted as “beneficial and harmless.” Dr. Offit relates a story of purchasing a bottle of “natural vitamin E”:
“On the back, it said “3333% of the RDA” (recommended daily allowance). That is 33 times the recommended daily allowance. This one capsule was about maybe half the size of an almond. Almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E. You would have to eat 1650 almonds to get what was in that 1 capsule. How is that a natural thing to do?”
What do you think? Are supplements safe and harmless, or should they be regulated?
Watch the interview or read the transcript on Medscape.com here.
Check out the book here.
- Quote of the Day by Unknown December 6, 2013
- Quote of the Day by David Brooks (The Necessity of Atheism) December 5, 2013
- Quote of the Day by Bob Snuka December 4, 2013
- Quote of the Day by Frater Ravus December 3, 2013
- Quote of the Day by Bertrand Russell December 2, 2013
- Featured Video – A Brief History of Disbelief – Part 1 December 2, 2013
- Quote of the Day by Carl Sagan December 1, 2013
- All Rocks Go To Heaven November 30, 2013
- Quote of the Day by Richard Dawkins November 30, 2013
- Quote of the Day by Unknown November 29, 2013
- December 21, 2013FD Book Club discussion - "And Man Created God"
- March 19, 2014Michio KaKu Lecture